Monday, June 7, 2010

A little girl....

Can we really just think and grow rich…???? This was the thought which crossed my mind when I first saw the title ‘Think and grow rich’ on a book….

Curious… I picked up the book and found that it actually contained a lot of meat about human behavior and human endeavors.

Unless I think something how can I do or achieve that? All great work begins with a thought…blah blah blah....I have read this many times….

But the very first story about this little girl touched me deeply… I would simply narrate the story here …

The story is setup in a little older time where racial discrimination seemed to be still prevalent...

A young man was helping his uncle grind wheat in an old fashioned mill. The uncle operated a large farm on which a number of colored sharecrop farmers lived. Quietly the door opened and a small colored child, daughter of a tenant, walked in and stood near the door. The uncle saw the child and barked at her roughly - "What do you want?" Meekly the child replied, "My mommy say send her Fifty cents". "I'll not", the uncle retorted, "Now you run home.""Yes, sah," the child replied. But she did not move. The uncle went ahead with his work, so busy that he did not notice that child has not left. When he looked up and saw her still standing, he furiously yelled "I told you to go home or I'll take a switch to you."
The little girl said "Yes Sah" but she did not budge an inch. The uncle dropped the sack of grain he was about to pour into the mill hopper, picked a barrel stave, and started toward the child with an expression which indicated trouble.

The young man held his breath, he was sure he was about to witness a murder as he knew his uncle's fierce temper. He knew that colored children were not supposed to defy white people in that part of the country.

When the uncle reached close to the child, she quickly stepped forward one step, looked up into his eyes, and screamed at top of her shrill voice, "MY MOMMY'S GOT TO HAVE THAT FIFTY CENTS."

The uncle stopped, looked at her for a minute, then slowly laid the barrel stave on floor, put his hand in his pocket, took out half a dollar and gave it to the girl. The child took the money, slowly backed towards the door, never taking her eyes off the man she had just conquered.

I seem to be loving this book. I might bore you all with some more posts from the book soon :) :) :)....

4 comments:

  1. Hello,
    thank you for your comment. I followed your blog because you mentioned Napoleon Hills's book that has influenced my life deeply. And the truth is indeed that thoughts are things.
    And I also see that you like tea. I am happy to learn more about you.
    greetings from South-Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.
    I've just joined ur blog. Would appreciate if u can reciprocate

    ReplyDelete