Tuesday, June 22, 2010

If you would read only one book in your life?

Firstly, I strongly recommend that all of us read much much more than just one book in our life :)... (of course other than the school books) But what if I were to read only one book in my entire life time? Which book should this be?

I am not the most voracious reader type (many people I have met actually read one or more book per week) but from whatever reading I have done, I have following preference --

1. Any religious\spiritual book in which you believe... may be Bible, Gita, Quran or any spiritual books. (Hinduism believes that the ultimate aim of human life is to seek God, and hence if we just want to read only one book then why not devote it to the ultimate aim)

2. For more materialistic humans like me :), I would recommend "The magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz.

This book has the potential to change our thinking and affect every possible dimension of our life. I read this book long ago and I keep going back to read certain chapters to pep up myself. More on this book sometime later... :)

Let me know which book would you read if you are to read only one book in your life???

6 comments:

  1. well, i'd really spend my time reading any book on chem....it's such a wonderful subject...especially organic chem....so any book should be fine....otherwise it would be angels nd demons or the da vinci code!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    First of all I wanted to thank you for all your kind words and comments on my blog.
    It is a very difficult choice if you had to read one book only in your life. I would say the bible or any other book on spirituality and the development of consciousness and the human mind - if it is really one one.
    But if we have a chance to read two or three I would read " The old man and the sea" by Ernest Hemingway. For me this book is the tale of life itself from end to beginning and I think still one of the greatest novels ever written. My third choice is "The Alchemist " by Paolo Coelho.This possesses power through it's simple language and it's depth. But I would love to take so many more books with me because there is so much wisdom in many people.
    Have a wonderful day and greetings from South-Africa

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...I would not consider Quran Shareef as a book one must read...it is basically a choice...we made once we accepted to follow this religion - Islam.

    So...I dont think we should include any religious books in this selection...because...

    So many people dont actually read their religious books but they know all about in it as we all have our religious instructors and friends who keep us up on the level.

    So....if I have to make a choice...after I made one to read Quran Sharif...ofcourse...

    I will choose...VILLETTE...of Charlote Bronte...

    hmm...but anyways...it was hard to choose...and thank you for asking us to stop and think....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the book, "Eat, Love, Pray" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It was freeing and allowed a woman like me to have a voice amongst the ending chatter of society....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know...
    maybe one of these complex adult-fairytale-novels by Walter Moers, or "The Swarm" by Frank Schätzing, nice thriller.
    With "Skandinavia" are the northern eurpoean and north-western asian countries ment like Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark and these. Here in Germany we describe them as "Skandinavien". (Where does Dracula come from? - Skandinavia :D)
    Greetz :)

    ReplyDelete